Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 12:17:44 +0200 (CEST)
From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak@...o.troja.mff.cuni.cz>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: trying to build Owl for Raspberry Pi

On Sun, 25 May 2014 croco@...nwall.com wrote:

> Anyway, during all the builds I see  '-march=armv6' on the gcc's command
> line, and 'armv6hl' suffix in Pidora's package names.  What should I add to
> ExclusiveArch?  armv6? armv6hl? Both?

As far I know, "armv6" stands for ARMv6 architecture, "h" stands for
hard-float (hardware FPU; it is optional for v<7), and "l" probably
stands for little-endian (hardware supports both kinds of endianness).

Machine code built for one variant can run on some but not all other
variants (this includes both hardware and runtime environment). In this
sense, "armv6" is not a single architecture but a family of similar but
different and often incompatible architectures.

I think you should call the architecture "armv6hl" (assuming you want to
stick to tools & nomenclature of Fedora et al.) and disregard the
existence of other variants, at least for the time being.

--
Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak                      "Que sais-je?"