Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:09:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Zopfli for Owl 3.0-stable kernels

I think we should try using Zopfli to compress Owl 3.0-stable's kernels
better, to make them fit on their 2.88 MB "floppy" while letting us
upgrade to newer RHEL5'ish kernels without having to exclude features.

I think this can be as simple as building Zopfli locally right out of
kernel.spec and having the kernel build run zopfli instead of gzip (a
one-line patch?)  I haven't tried this yet, though.

We don't have the size limitation in Owl-current, so I only propose this
as a temporary measure for Owl 3.0-stable (while we maintain it).