Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:38:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: strace

Dmitry, Pavel -

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 01:31:22AM +0400, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:52:40PM +0100, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:
> > 2.6.18:
[...]
> > 2.6.32:
[...]
> > orig_eax (syscall number) has shifted.
>
> That's surely the reason.

Perhaps, but FYI in this case we're talking RHEL5'ish kernel (so 2.6.18
plus lots of backports, and more), and strace was built with kernel
headers for the same kernel that it is run with (RHEL5'ish in both cases).

> The change of orig_eax offset means that there was a change in the ptrace
> ABI between 2.6.18 and 2.6.32, and all its users (e.g. strace and gdb)
> should be rebuilt.

It has already been (re)built with what I think are proper kernel headers.

> > PS: De ja vu? <http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-dev/2012/07/19/1> :)
>
> Yes, exactly the same issue, thanks.

Almost, except that Vasily's report was for RHEL6'ish kernel, whereas
we've reverted to RHEL5'ish for now (and the strace build is RHEL5'ish).

So "rebuild it" does not appear to be the fix for us.

Alexander