Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:30:25 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: kernel.spec generated RPMs

Solar, all -

RHEL6'ish kernel packages firmware files located in /lib/firmware/.
In RH and OpenVZ specs they go to kernel-firmware package.  I think we
should do the same thing.

Other thoughts about kernel RPMs:

We don't package kernel sources which are needed for building external
kernel modules.  Other distros packetize kernel-devel package, which
includes not the whole kernel sources, but only headers, Makefiles, and
most of kernel scripts to compile external modules.

Another package RH uses to build is kernel-doc.  It includes
Documentation/ directory of kernel sources and kernel man pages (section 9).
While man pages might be not needed for Owl, but documentation from
kernel sources may be useful for sysctl setup, sysfs, boot params, etc.

RH also packetizes perf tool.  However, I've disabled config options
which should be enabled for most of perf features.

For x86_64 the suggested RPMs have the following size:

build@...halot:~ $  ls -lh RPMS/kernel-*
-rw------- 1 build sources 394M 2012-08-19 11:04 RPMS/kernel-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm
-rw------- 1 build sources  85M 2012-08-19 11:05 RPMS/kernel-devel-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm
-rw------- 1 build sources 3,5M 2012-08-19 11:05 RPMS/kernel-doc-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm
-rw------- 1 build sources  16K 2012-08-19 11:04 RPMS/kernel-fake-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm
-rw------- 1 build sources 8,0M 2012-08-19 11:04 RPMS/kernel-firmware-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm
-rw------- 1 build sources 690K 2012-08-19 11:04 RPMS/kernel-headers-2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1.x86_64.rpm

Note that almost 400 Mb for the kernel itself is mostly filled by kernel
modules.

What do you think?  Do we need -firmware, -devel, -doc, and perf RPMs?

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy