Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:30:24 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: tcsh updated

Gremlin -

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:58:28PM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> ftp://ftp.gremlin.people.openwall.com/pub/linux/Owl/SRPMS/tcsh-6.18.01-owl1.src.rpm
>
> Changes:
> 1. Dropped obsolete patches, including -owl-tmp, as tcsh uses mkstemp() now
> 2. Recreated other patches
> 3. Re-enabled color output for built-in `ls-F`
> 4. Introduced the /etc/skel/.tcshrc file
> 5. Moved most settings from /etc/csh.login to /etc/csh.cshrc

I think you forgot to document #3 above in %changelog in tcsh.spec -
please add a mention of it in there.

As to #5, you're trying to sneak in additional settings, which reflect
your own preferences, but I think might not be appropriate for Owl
defaults.  For example, we don't currently provide any non-default
completions, neither for bash nor for tcsh, and I like it that way.
If we start providing completions that take into consideration "ps"
output and then more things, it is non-obvious where to stop with adding
them (I think Ubuntu has something on the order of 100 KB of them), and
some might even be security vulnerabilities (e.g., the process list is
partially untrusted input).  For me, even having "ps" invoked when I
press TAB after "kill" (maybe inadvertently) is overkill (pun not
intended, but I like it).  I know that a lot of people find this kind of
completions desirable, yet I think we should leave it up to them to
configure completions.  There are a few other things added with your
proposed update as well, which I think shouldn't be there.

So can you actually reduce this to just "moving" settings (as you
document this change) rather than adding to them?  If we later agree
that additions are desirable, they should be made with a separate commit
and documented in the spec file.

> Any objections against commit?

Please commit now, but with the above correction.

Thanks,

Alexander