Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 00:26:26 +0400
From: Vasily Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: status of 2.6.32-based kernel

Hi,

I've reached the state of bootable RHEL6-based kernel with Owl patch.

1. Owl patch is updated and a basic .config file is created.

2. There are problems with some config options.  I had to enable

1) cgroups
2) perf events

options in .config because some backported patched of RHEL/OpenVZ kernel
are not designed to fully backport all huge #ifdef constructions and
many =n configs are not compilable.  To disable these groups of config
options massive additions of #ifdef are needed.

There were minor issues with other options like taskstats, which are now
fixed.

Does Owl kernel need cgroups and perf events?  Cgroups are needed for
ovz scheduler (and probably memory) limitations.  It looks like OpenVZ
is able to exist without perf events, it is only RHEL-related
compilation bug.

If both option groups are needed, no significant changes to the Owl
patch are needed.

3. The size of the kernel has significantly increased: 2.82 Mb of
2.6.18 vs 3.60 Mb of 2.6.32.  Do we need any actions for reducing the
size?  E.g. moving some config options from =y to =m.  Probably we can
discuss udev usage once again (and move many device options to =m and
use initrd)...

However, we are not constrained with any specific size because of using
syslinux as bootloader in ISO case.

4. We want to use the latest RHEL6-based OpenVZ kernel branch, right?
For now it should be 042stab055.16.

5. How do we want to discuss the needness of plenty config options?
Most of them are device-related, but a significant number is about
secondary features like RCU, ACPI, scheduler things, etc.

Thanks,

--
Vasily