Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 02:17:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2012 (GSoC)

Hi Stanislav,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:26:34AM +0200, Stanislav Uzunchev wrote:
> Hi, all. I am applying quote from the ideas page on openwall's site.
> My question is what is the priority of this task. I am going to apply
> for gsoc and i want to chose a task with higher priority to avoid
> preparing my application for something that is not nescecary. Regards.

Making progress on this task is highly desirable, so it is high priority
in that sense, but it is going to be difficult for us to get someone new
involved in this project that quickly and be sufficiently confident that
they'd succeed under this year's GSoC specifically.  That said, please
feel free to try and get involved so that we'd be able to consider you
for this role.

> /*
> *Functionality available out of the box needs to be expanded in
> multiple ways, including:
> *Need to have full LAMP stack in the base system. We need to add
> Apache, MySQL, PHP - and do so in *accordance with our project
> concepts, which will include some security-relevant changes.
> *DHCP and PPP/PPPoE/PPTP client support (add userland packages,
> introduce privilege separation where *needed)
> *Assorted extra packages that are in line with typical uses, concepts,
> and goals of Owl
> *Support and setup a package repository (for easier updates), possibly
> with Zypper, yum, or apt
> */

I suggest that you start with something easy - perhaps the DHCP client
with privsep.  Last year, we ended up finding ndhc, which I think is the
primary choice to consider now:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-dev/2011/05/03/7

but we made no progress on this.  Perhaps you may try packaging it in
accordance with our conventions (see Owl/doc/CONVENTIONS in our native
tree)?  Also test that it actually works on Owl (indeed), point out any
issues there might be, etc.  That way, we'll get a better idea of our
chances to successfully work together during the summer.

Please let us know whether you accept this task or not, and if you do
then when to expect an update on it from you.

Thanks,

Alexander