Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:38:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: -mpreferred-stack-boundary (was: %optflags for new gcc)

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:50:54PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> 2) -mpreferred-stack-boundary*
>
> I am a bit lost in the discussions (actually, more Solar's tests :)).
> Where are we now?  Do we still need these changes?

We should definitely not change gcc's defaults on this.  We may only
change things in our .rpmmacros (used to build Owl itself) and
rpm-4.2-owl-rpmrc.diff (used to build third-party RPMs on Owl).

Compared to Owl 3.0, I've already removed -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3
from %optflags_lib_i686 (and i386) in .rpmmacros; I left =2 in
%optflags_bin_i686 for now.  That is, in Owl 3.0 we had =3 for libs and
=2 for bins.  Now we have =4 for libs and still =2 for bins.

I think we need to bring rpm-4.2-owl-rpmrc.diff in sync with settings in
Owl's .rpmmacros once those stabilize a little (we need to remove
-Wl,-z,relro from there first as we'll get that into gcc instead).
For rpm-4.2-owl-rpmrc.diff, we should use a copy of the %optflags_lib
settings (not bin).

We should also review/revise many spec files to make sure that we're
actually using %optflags_lib when building libs.  Right now, many of our
packages with libs don't actually use these flags.

Alexander