Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:22:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: glibc update

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:17:05PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> I'm planning to start glibc update tomorrow.  What's the version we're
> planning to support?

I think we should try to stay with latest release (+ patches) at all
times.  Due to symbol versioning, we don't need to use an older version
of glibc even if we provide binary compatibility for a distro with such

> The latest official release is 2.14:

There's 2.14.1 under

I think we should update to that now, then expect to make 1 or 2 minor
updates as new glibc releases come out before Owl 4.0.

For patches, please take a look at ALT's package of glibc, although it
uses a git tree instead of separate patches now.  Rather than update our
current patches, I think we should reuse the results of Dmitry's work,
extracting already existing forward-ports of our changes from ALT's git.

> Given your past email, we're likely need binutils update first.

Yes, please work on that as well.

Please coordinate with me before you commit these two updates.