Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:22:39 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: syslinux

Solar,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 06:47 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:20:04PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> > I've just committed ISOLINUX support for our ISOs.  Please test it,
> > all menu choises should work just fine.
>
> Doesn't work for me - when I choose any boot label, the menu simply
> flashes and re-appears.

AFAICS, it happens if the kernel image is damaged/absent.

> When I press Tab and try to type a custom boot
> line, it behaves either the same as the menu choices (returning me to
> the menu) or in case I type the name of a symlink (e.g., /bin/sh, which
> is a symlink to /bin/bash) in place of kernel image filename, it then
> reports an error.  All of this is in QEMU.  The same (outdated) version
> of QEMU boots another (non-Owl) ISO that also uses ISOLINUX (an older
> version of it) just fine.  I don't know if the same problem would be
> seen on real hardware or in another VM - haven't tried yet.
>
> It is possible that I broke something with my additional changes after
> yours, but I've already tried reverting many of those changes (in my
> test ISO build tree) and it didn't make a difference.
>
> i686 and x86_64 behave the same (fail in the same way as above).
>
> Can you please try to build an ISO from Owl-current with my changes (as
> currently committed) and see if it works for you?

I've built an ISO with your changes - it works for me as good as my
version did.

    $ qemu --version
    QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.3 (qemu-kvm-0.12.3), Copyright (c)
    2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

    $ qemu -boot d -cdrom Owl-current-20111029.iso
    open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
    Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
    pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile "pxe-rtl8139.bin"

    (Here it boots just fine.)

--
Vasiliy Kulikov