Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:52:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: %optflags for new gcc

Hi,

We may want to adjust our %optflags now (in .rpmmacros).  I am thinking
of two changes:

1. Use -Os instead of -O2.  BTW, the kernel already builds with -Os.
In my (limited) testing, -Os results in significantly smaller code that
is about as fast as -O2's (and is sometimes faster than -O2's).

2. Drop our -mpreferred-stack-boundary* options, which arguably break
the ABI and are more likely to actually break things now that gcc
generates SSE2 instructions (-msse2 is implied on x86_64).

Comments?

What do other distros use with similar gcc versions?

Alexander