Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:05:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: kernel size

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 06:18:46PM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> It looks like we waste too much time on these size issues.

I think we don't, but you say so each time. ;-)

It is reasonable to keep the kernel size sane even without any hard
limit.  Maybe "sane" is more like 4 MB rather than 2.8 MB now, though.

> In general, we really should move to isolinux and, as we no

Yes, we should.

> longer sell official CDs, we should not bother of ISO image
> size any more -

I am going to let us exceed 700 MB now - so we'll require DVD media for
Owl-current - but I still think it would be nice to fix that a bit
later, perhaps by introducing a compressed filesystem or by excluding
the sources from our standard ISOs.

> instead of that, we may want to hurry with
> official support for installation from USB flash drive (my
> investigation revealed that will require only some changes
> in owl-startup package).

Would you be willing to contribute a patch against our native tree that
would add a "make usb" target (or whatever we call it)?

Thanks,

Alexander