Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 20:25:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: hardlink (was: timezones)

Hi,

So I got tzdata 2011k into Owl-current (removing the zoneinfo files from
glibc package).

I mostly based the spec file on cut-down Fedora's, but looking at:

http://sisyphus.ru/en/srpm/Sisyphus/tzdata/spec

I notice:

# Hardlink identical files together.
%define __spec_install_custom_post hardlink -vc %buildroot

which indeed would save some space.  I think we should package the
"hardlink" tool for Owl.  Here it is:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=hardlink.git;a=tree

and here's how it is packaged in ALT Linux:

http://sisyphus.ru/en/srpm/Sisyphus/hardlink

However, hardlink.c failed my review - there are potential buffer
overflows.  So I think we either need to patch it right away, or we need
to somehow restrict its uses to those on trusted trees only (such as to
uses during Owl package builds, but not allow other uses by users/admins
of Owl).  The latter is tricky (unless we keep hardlink.c inside the
tzdata package only, which is too limiting), so perhaps we need to do
the former.

Alexander