Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:21:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: timezones

Hi,

We got to do something about several countries' move to permanent
daylight savings time starting this year.  The problem is to occur on
the night from October 29 to October 30.

http://www.kyivpost.com/news/nation/detail/113166/

"Ukraine will no longer use daylight saving time [...]
[...]
Earlier, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announced that he had decided
to abolish the use of daylight saving time from the autumn of 2011. The
same has been done by Belarus, Georgia and the countries of Central Asia."

So at least Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, and "the countries of
Central Asia" (which ones?) are affected.

Perhaps this is already addressed in upstream glibc?  (I haven't checked.)

What we may do for our older glibc is take the Etc/GMT-4 file, change
the name inside it from GMT-4 to MSD, and replace the Europe/Moscow file
with that.  (I just did on my computer - seems to work as desired.)
But there are too many affected per-city timezone files, I'm afraid.

Or maybe we should back-port whatever fix upstream glibc uses.

Also, this brings up a more general issue, not specific to these
countries and this year.  In owl-setup, we skip these timezone files:

        if(ents.HasPrefix("GMT+") ||
           ents.HasPrefix("GMT-") ||

This is because these timezones are historically confusingly named - the
opposite from what one would expect (the timezone file Etc/GMT-4 is
actually for four hours ahead of GMT).  However, it'd be nice for
owl-setup to let one configure the system's timezone as GMT or UTC
offset.  Any suggestions on how to do that best?

What do other distros do about these things?

Alexander