Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:16:06 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc 4.6.x and kernel-2.6.18-ovz

Solar,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 20:43 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 04:11:14PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> > and I suspect we'll get more of weird build bugs (and runtime bugs
> > perhaps) during RHEL6 kernel updates too as RHEL6 has gcc 4.4.5 (DW says
> > so), but we'll have 4.6.1.
>
> Yet I think we need to try this combination.  I am optimistic about us
> being able to get it to work reliably with little effort.  Of course, I
> could be wrong.

OK.  I just don't know how real Kir's fears are.

> I dislike using non-latest-stable gcc in Owl 4.0, and there's no other
> kernel version we can use currently while continuing to include OpenVZ
> support.

While I don't strongly state anything, why?  AFAICS in changelogs, gcc
4.4.x has all significant features we want to use (like SSP), 4.6.x has
probably not too much important for us improved C++1X support, more
strict compile time checks, better standards conformance, and many
changes in Ada, Go, Fortran, etc.; support of new -mXXX, non-x86 archs
support/improvements, etc.

I'll try to make 2.6.18 kernel compilable with gcc 4.6.1.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy