Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:25:18 +0400
From: Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: initrd/udev in Owl?

On 29.08.2011 14:46, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
[]
>>> except (2).
>>
>> Yes, (2) is serious (I trust your description of it; I am not familiar
>> with this myself).
>
> I don't know whether it can be disabled.  If yes, it is a way to go.
>

> FWIW, as to hard drives - the stable naming for fstab can be obtained
> two ways:
>
> 1) UUID for partitions.
>
> 2) symlinks created by udev and used in fstab instead /dev/sda1.
>
> AFAIK, all modern distros do (1).

Which, in turn, is implemented using (2): current libblkid (from util-linux)
looks into /dev/disk/by-uuid/ first and falls back to partition scanning if
that directory is not present.

The same is true for modern initramfs too - like dracut for example (which
is currently the only real choice for initramfs generator, and which may
produce either universal or specific initramfs images).

/mjt