Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 04:12:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: net2pcap (was: tcpdump)

Vasiliy,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 02:28:28PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> Another possibility for inclusion:
>
> http://www.secdev.org/projects/net2pcap/
> https://github.com/nbareil/net2pcap

I think it is OK for us to have trivial sniffer(s) like this (maybe two:
the above and also a libnids-based one to save TCP streams to files),
and also have the full tcpdump or maybe tshark.  In some cases, only
very basic functionality is needed, so specialized lower-risk tools are
reasonable to have and use.

What I'd be less comfortable with is having more than one complicated
and risky sniffer in Owl.

Alexander