Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 23:01:07 +0400
From: mjt@....msk.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA disabled on x86_64?

07.05.2011 19:37, Solar Designer wrote:
> Piotr,
>
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:33:41AM +0200, Piotr Meyer wrote:
>> Why CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA [1] is disabled in .config for x86_64
>> (and enabled in one for i686)?
>>
>> 1 - http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA.html
>
> I was under impression that this was obsolete hardware typically not
> found in 64-bit capable machines.  Now that I look at the web page
> above, some of the devices supported by that driver look like they're
> fairly recent.

FWIW, there's a new driver for these devices now, called, hpsa, which
is enabled on x86-64 for sure.  See http://cciss.sourceforge.net/ for
all the details.  The main difference between the two is that hpsa is
an scsi driver, while cciss is (was?) a block device.  So _finally_ the
mess with cciss devices is nearing its end.

> Are you aware of specific examples of 64-bit capable servers that need
> this driver?

There are many examples of such configurations.  Almost every server from
HP have smart array controller built-in.

> Anyway, to make room for it in the x86_64 kernel, we'll need to disable
> something else...

Why?  Yes that driver is somewhat large, but do we have size constraints?

Thanks!

/mjt