Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:57:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DHCP client

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 07:47:01AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> We need a DHCP client with privilege separation.  Juan on our team did
> some work on this several years ago, but he never completed it and he is
> not going to.  Meanwhile, OpenBSD implemented privsep in their fork of
> ISC's dhclient, and this code got into FreeBSD and DragonFly BSD, but it
> has not yet been ported to Linux (as far as I'm aware).

Here's their code:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sbin/dhclient/

At least dhclient-script will need changes for Linux.  Maybe we should
base it on ISC's original rather than on the revision in OpenBSD.

> I think that we should either port OpenBSD's dhclient to Linux ...

If that's what we do, we could either include patches against OpenBSD's
code like we do for mailx, mtree, telnet:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/mailx/
http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/mtree/
http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/telnet/

(yes, this stuff hasn't been updated for a long time...), or we could
keep the entire thing in our native tree.  I think the latter will work
better if we're to release this Linux port separately from Owl, which I
think would be a good thing to do.  Similarly, I think it makes sense
for us to get at least mtree fully into our tree and release it (mtree
for Linux or portable mtree) separately from Owl (in addition to
continuing to develop and use it as part of Owl, indeed).

Alexander