Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 00:21:27 +0100
From: Alexander Nasonov <alnsn@...dex.ru>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: usage of BSD ports for Owl

(GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> My concern is how pkgsrc would handle bulk installation on a bunch of
> servers?  updates?  I never worked with ports before, so my questions
> may be dumb, but with binary packages it's quite trivial to support a
> park of servers and do updates/modification of a set of package across
> these servers.  Recently, I needed to install 30+ systems in a day.  If
> we had ports, would I need to build packages on each of these 30+ boxes?

I use pkgtools/pkg_chk to build binary packages on a dev box and
I use it again to install binary packages on prod boxes.

First, you add a list of packages to pkgsrc.conf. You can also
include/exclude packages based on hostnames, OSes, files (e.g. install
only if /etc/prod exists).

Then you build pkg_chk with (cd pkgtools/pkg_chk && bmake install) and
build everything with

pkg_chk -uas

(uas - update all from source)

On a prod box you install pkg_chk first

pkg_add /path/to/pkg_chk.tgz

and everything else with

pkg_chk -uab

(Of course, you should copy pkgchk.conf over and set PKG_PATH)

For installation over http/ftp, you need an additional step to create
pkg_summary.tgz and copy it to http/ftp server among with binary
packages.

The process is documented in several places. See for example
http://wiki-static.aydogan.net/How_to_upgrade_packages

Alex