Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 04:08:59 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: tcpdump vagaries

RB,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 06:36:05PM -0600, RB wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 17:07, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > One of my concerns is that if the sniffer is to create additional files
> > after dropping root, the directory holding those files will need to be
> > writable by the non-root pseudo-user.
>
> Whether or not it's writable, where tcpdump falls down in this case is
> that it doesn't make that check early enough. [...]

Oh, I managed to confuse you.  I was not talking about the specific
issue you brought up at all; we'll patch that one.

Also, my "concern" was obviously not about the directory being writable
per se, but about the associated risk when those files are then accessed
by the invoking user.

I suggest that we postpone further discussion on this until it actually
matters (that is, until we work on those packages).

Alexander