Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 02:25:47 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gcc option adjustments for security, after toolchain update (was: VLANs in Owl way?)

Piotr,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:20:22AM +0100, Piotr Meyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 11:43:16PM +0300, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> > We're planning to upgrade iproute after toolchain upgrade.
>
> With gcc4? I played a little in NetBSD with things like ASLR or gcc stack
> smashing protections and I'm curious what Owl can do with this. Yes, I'm
> aware about performance drop but there are many "fast" distros and I want
> secure one.
>
> PS: Handy table for current RHEL's features:
>     http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/20101130.html

Yes, we're planning to work on this for Owl 4.0.  Thank you for
reminding me of the link above (which I had seen before); I've just
added it along with the "equivalent" link for Ubuntu to the list of
references under the proper task here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas

This is our ideas page for GSoC 2011 - yes, Openwall has applied to be a
mentoring organization this year.  We should find out if we're accepted
or not soon, but we intend to work on the Owl tasks either way.

Would you like to work on this?  Are you by any chance a GSoC eligible
student, and would you like to apply via GSoC if so?

Alexander