Date: Sat, 11 May 2024 21:44:23 -0500
From: Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Corey Lopez <Corey.lopez09160587@...mail.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Device Firmware Configuration Interface
 (DFCI) in Linux efivars directory

Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Corey's message is confused and there's no indication in it whether the
> system was compromised, so that part doesn't need further discussion,
> but as a moderator I don't mind someone explaining Linux's (and other
> systems') exposure of the EFI variables and DFCI and what it means for
> security as well as what it does not.

While he is definitely somewhat confused, he claims at the start to have
detected a compromise, but does not give details about the indications
that led him to that conclusion.

As far as I can tell from a quick perusal, (landing at
<URL:https://microsoft.github.io/mu/dyn/mu_feature_dfci/DfciPkg/Docs/Scenarios/DfciScenarios/>)
it seems that DFCI "Zero Touch" is actually tightly bound to Microsoft
cloud services, and there is supposed to be a local option to remove the
zero touch certificate (thus disabling it more-or-less permanently) if
DFCI is not in use on the machine.  The example implies that the UEFI
configuration tool ("BIOS setup") should provide this option.

-- Jacob