Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:10:27 +0100
From: Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
	"Skyler Ferrante (RIT Student)" <sjf5462@....edu>
Subject: Re: CVE-2024-28085: Escape sequence injection in
 util-linux wall

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 12:29:35AM +0100, Solar Designer wrote:

> > > ?? https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/commit/404b0781f52f7c04
> > >   ("wall: fix escape sequence Injection [CVE-2024-28085]")
> >
> > Would enforcing UTF-8 validity (regardless of user locale) be a
> > solution?
>
> Not a complete solution.

There is only one real solution: do not allow non-root users to write
to foreign file descriptors. Do not install wall(1) with suid. That's
all.

For now, it is enabled by default in the upstream tree, but I will
disable it in the next releases and explicit --enable-* will be
required. We also need to add more information to the man pages.

    Karel

I'm currently not aware of a safe way to allow

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@...hat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com