Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 13:24:58 -0800
From: Roxana Bradescu <roxabee@...omium.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Kernel vulnerabilities CVE-2021-33630 &
 CVE-2021-33631

> On Jan 30, 2024, at 4:56 PM, Demi Marie Obenour <demi@...isiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 03:01:24PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 10:45:00PM +0100, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> Thank you Greg for looking into these issues.  It's great that most
>>> longterm kernel trees appear already fixed.
>>
>> I've taken the one remaining missing fix into the next round of kernel
>> releases, so all should be good now.
>>
>>> For CVE-2021-33631 (the ext4 BUG), both the distro vendor's and NVD's
>>> CVSS input vectors specify AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N, which means the
>>> vulnerability can be triggered by a local system user at will and
>>> without additional privileges.  I'd say that deliberately getting the
>>> kernel to work on a corrupted filesystem requires at least one of:
>>> physical access (AV:P) or privileges on the system (PR:H) or user
>>> interaction (UI:R).  However, there's no way to encode this in one CVSS
>>> vector.  Also, in the physical access case, at least the availability
>>> impact typically does not apply (would be A:N).
>>
>> The "interesting" thing here is that the project in question (the
>> kernel) does not consider "mounting a corrupted filesystem" as a real
>> attack vector at all.  There's been long discussions about it, the most
>> recent being last year on the kernel summit discuss mailing list, and at
>> the kernel summit itself.
>
> The kernel itself does not, but there are downstreams of the kernel that
> do for at least a subset of filesystems.  These include Android and
> Chromium OS.

ChromeOS Security here, and this is correct.

Vulnerabilities can be reported to ChromeOS and Android via https://bughunters.google.com
If any questions, can reach out to chromeos-security@...omium.org

> Could this be documented somehow, so that people know to send reports
> against f2fs and ext4 to those who will actually fix them?

We will document something on the ChromeOS side. Thanks for flagging this!

—
Regards, Roxana

> --
> Sincerely,
> Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
> Invisible Things Lab

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)