Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 23:20:08 +0100
From: Pietro Albini <pietro@...troalbini.org>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2022-46176: Cargo does not check SSH host keys

Hello all,

 > I think the libgit2 issue was never brought to oss-security, so I am
 > passing its mention to here now.  Also per that thread, CVE-2022-46176
 > is only for the Cargo issue.  libgit2 was supposed to get its own CVE,
 > but no one in the thread knew whether they actually did.

The Rust project was in contact with the libgit2 maintainers to coordinate the
two disclosures (that's why we mentioned it in the distros email), but some
miscommunication happened and the libgit2 side of the advisory didn't end up
being posted here by its maintainers.

libgit2's advisory is available here, and has CVE-2023-22742 assigned to it:

https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/security/advisories/GHSA-8643-3wh5-rmjq

 > I don't know whether libgit2 was actually fixed on that date as planned.

The libgit2 advisory and fix ended up being published later, on January 20th.

Pietro.
Rust Security Response WG