Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 10:59:06 -0700
From: "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@...o.ws>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session File Relative Path Traversal in sudo-rs

On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 16:53:27 +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:

> The original sudo implementation is affected too:
> https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/commit/7363ad7b3230b7b0
>
> https://ferrous-systems.com/blog/sudo-rs-audit/ says it's "a lower
> security severity due to [sudo's] use of the openat function", but I
> can't see how openat() would help.

That is correct, openat() does not prevent opening a relative (or
absolute) pathname.  Sudo 1.9.15, released today, includes the
commit you reference above.

I consider this to be very low impact as it requires the ability
to create a user with a name that would be treated as an absolute
or relative pathname.

 - todd