Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 18:39:49 +1100
From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: sandboxing,of upstream programs by distros

Hi all,

I asked Alexander about this off-list in relation to his thread
“linux-distros list membership application - CIQ Rocky Linux Security
Team” but he suggested I bring it on-list instead.

Is there interest/solutions within the Rock Security SIG or other
distro’s security teams for sandboxing that package upstreams can opt into?

To step this out a bit… we have a large, old code base that was written
decades prior to current best practices. It has numerous known memory
safety issues and ever-dwindling maintainer capacity. It is also a
dependency, either directly or indirectly, of a significant fraction of
the world’s software. I am guessing this scenario sounds uncomfortably
familiar/common to many on this list.

We (the maintainers) have discussed sandboxing as a way of mitigating
the risk of known bugs. However, one of the problems is that we don’t
know the complete set of required privileges of our dependencies. The
software can be configured with or without various libraries and also
has a plugin mechanism for dynamic code loading. Basically if a
sandboxing solution like seccomp wants to know our full set of system
calls, we ourselves don’t know it.

The downstream maintainer packaging the software for, e.g. Rocky, does
though. They have a complete picture of which libraries/features are
enabled and how locked down the plugin stuff is.

So, where I’m going with this, is that if the various packaging
ecosystems could (or do) offer sandboxing to upstream, people like us
would gladly opt in to it. Of course, these downstream maintainers can
already seccomp our software today. But expecting them to reverse
engineer our exact needs seems a bit much.

I’d be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Matt