Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:04:27 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE-2023-45322: Use-after-free in libxml2 through 2.11.5

https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2023-45322 was published today.  It reports:

 > libxml2 through 2.11.5 has a use-after-free that can only occur after a
 > certain memory allocation fails. This occurs in xmlUnlinkNode in tree.c.
 > NOTE: the vendor's position is "I don't think these issues are critical
 > enough to warrant a CVE ID ... because an attacker typically can't control
 > when memory allocations fail."

The reproducer is attached to the upstream bug report at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/issues/583
and is run via
"./libxml2/xmllint --copy --html --maxmem 315229 input.xml"

The fix is in the git master branch, but not yet any release:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/commit/d39f78069dff496ec865c73aa44d7110e429bce9

--
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith@...cle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris