Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:36:13 +0000
From: Dan McDonald <danmcd@....io>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: illumos (or at least danmcd) membership in the
 distros list

On Sep 15, 2023, at 5:09 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Your request looks good to me, except that this criterion:
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 08:21:22PM +0000, Dan McDonald wrote:
>>> Have a publicly verifiable track record, dating back at least 1 year and continuing to present day, of fixing security issues (including some that had been handled on (linux-)distros, meaning that membership would have been relevant to you) and releasing the fixes within 10 days (and preferably much less than that) of the issues being made public (if it takes you ages to fix an issue, your users wouldn't substantially benefit from the additional time, often around 7 days and sometimes up to 14 days, that list membership could give you)
>
> is meant to be about the distro, not about you personally.
>
> Alan Coopersmith also correctly pointed this out and made suggestions.
>
> Can you show illumos fixing non-illumos-only security issues within days
> after public disclosure, so that a few days of advance notice would have
> made those fixes even quicker?

It's a per-illumos-distro property.  OmniOS has Stable & LTS releases.   Here's the current-stable
release notes, dynamically updated every time they update:

	https://github.com/omniosorg/omnios-build/blob/r151046/doc/ReleaseNotes.md

So I'm not sure if a few days of advance notice would make those quicker,
but I do know that other distros have biweekly scheduled releases, and advance
notice there would keep those wheels spinning faster.  Esp. since "patch tuesday"
is a mere one-day before the release branch is forked off on release weeks.

Our security coordination in illumos is to warn distro-runners, and they make their own
decisions based on that data. None have ever violated embargos.

Thanks,
Dan