Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:25:58 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2023-31975: memory leak in yasm

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 1:15 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@...sfall.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
> > Memory leaks on exit are par for the course in GNU software per
> > https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Memory-Usage .
>
> Don't bother with this, don't bother with that, etc...  Call me old-school
> (which I am), but I cannot abide sloppy programming[*].
>
> At the risk of starting a culture war, that is one of the reasons why I
> avoid GNU libraries whenever possible.

Yeah, I'm with you. It is sloppy programming from a bygone era.

I've had the discussion with Stallman and the Gnulib folks. They don't
realize the harm they are doing with that policy (or they don't care).
It makes security testing and evaluation orders of magnitude more
difficult because it's hard to impossible to differentiate the "good"
memory leaks from the "bad" memory leaks. Effectively, everyone with
higher standards must lower their standard to GNU's.

Jeff