Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:04:48 -0500
From: Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@...denedbsd.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Linux] /proc/pid/stat parsing bugs

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 03:44:45PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> sudo was bitten by this back in the day (CVE-2017-1000367):
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/05/30/16

I remember performing local privesc's against poorly-written cronjobs
that ran as root and parsed things in procfs. One bug was in a C
application that had a format string bug when parsing data from
procfs data.

Something akin to this (in C-like pseudo code):

```
fp = fopen("/some/logfile/here", "w+");
procfs_fp = fopen("/proc/pid/something")
fprintf(fp, something_read_from_procfs_fp);
```

Name your application "%n" or a shared object "%n" and you'll have a
fun time. (Of course, replace with actual format string exploit).

Process hollowing by abusing /proc/pid/maps and /proc/pid/mem was a
fun tactic back in the early 2000's.

We knew way back then the dangers of VFS-based wizardry. Did we lose
that knowledge somehow?

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)