Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:15:40 +0700
From: Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: heap buffer overflow in gdk-pixbuf

On 24/07/2022 10:35, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:

>> On 24 Jul 2022, at 01:08, John Helmert III <ajak@...too.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 07:35:42PM +0700, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A year ago I found and submitted a vulnerability to the gdk-pixbuf tracker:
>>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdk-pixbuf/-/issues/190
>>>
>>> It's a heap buffer overflow using a crafted GIF, which is likely
>>> exploitable in 32 bit systems. Full details are in the link above in the
>>> bug tracker.
>>>
>>> This was patched and the fix was merged 8 months ago as seen here:
>>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdk-pixbuf/-/merge_requests/121
>>>
>>> The issue is now public, but since no CVE was attributed, it probably is
>>> not being considered as a problem for downstream users of the package.
>>>
>>> As of today, the latest Debian stable package is affected by this
>>> vulnerability. Using a GNOME file system browser and browsing to that
>>> folder will cause a crash, as will opening it up in a GNOME image viewer
>>> and even attempting to load it in Chromium (should have submitted to
>>> them for a bounty :D).
>>>
>>> Hence I'd like to get a CVE to raise awareness for this issue, so that
>>> downstream users of the package can get patched.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Pedro Ribeiro
>>
>> Hi, according to the oss-security Openwall wiki page [1], CVEs need to
>> be requested via MITRE's web form [2].

>> [2] https://cveform.mitre.org/
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the info, will request via the form and post here again once I have a CVE number. In any case I hope this post is useful to raise awareness of the issue to distro maintainers.
>
> Regards
> Pedro

Actually I was wrong, this doesn't crash Chromium! But it still crashes
with a heap buffer overflow in GNOME file explorer and GNOME image
viewers (anything using gdk-pixbuf really) as said in the previous email
though.

Here's the CVE number that was attributed by MITRE: CVE-2021-46829.
I've put a copy of the PoC and bug report at
https://github.com/pedrib/PoC/blob/master/fuzzing/CVE-2021-46829/CVE-2021-46829.md

Regards,
Pedro