Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:49:49 -0700
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: zlib memory corruption on deflate (i.e. compress)

Greetings list, I was recently trying to track down a reproducible crash
in a compressor. Believe it or not, it really was a bug in
zlib-1.2.11 when compressing (not decompressing!) certain inputs.

I reported it upstream, but it turns out the issue has been public since
2018, but the patch never made it into a release. As far as I know,
nobody ever assigned it a CVE.

https://github.com/madler/zlib/commit/5c44459c3b28a9bd3283aaceab7c615f8020c531

As far as I can tell, no distros have picked this up.

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@....org