Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 05:55:27 +0000
From: Benoit Tellier <btellier@...che.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE-2021-40110: Apache James IMAP vulnerable to a ReDoS

Severity: moderate

Using Jazzer fuzzer, we identified that an IMAP user can craft IMAP LIST commands to orchestrate a Denial Of Service using a vulnerable Regular expression.  This affected Apache James prior to 3.6.1

This issue is being tracked as JAMES-3635

Mitigation:

We recommend upgrading to Apache James 3.6.1 or higher , which enforce the use of RE2J regular expression engine to execute regex in linear time without back-tracking.

Credit:

Apache James PMC would like to thanks Benoit TELLIER for this report.