Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:18:20 +0200
From: Charles Fol <c.fol@...fo.fr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE-2021-21703: PHP-FPM 5.3.7 <= 8.0.12 Local Root

PHP-FPM (PHP's FastCGI server) is vulnerable to a privilege escalation
vulnerability due to the usage of pointers in a shared memory region.

The bug has been assigned CVE-2021-21703.

What follows is the text/markdown version of the article posted on
https://www.ambionics.io/blog/php-fpm-local-root.

# Introduction

Two years ago we published CARPE DIEM, an Apache HTTPd local root
vulnerability.
Today we are releasing the details of a similar vulnerability that
affects PHP-FPM. Similar not only because they have the same impact
and affect the same kind of targets, but also because they originate
from the same problem: insecure shared memory usage. The primitive
is different though, and the exploitation, as a consequence, is as
well.

The vulnerability allows a low-privilege user (such as *www-data*)
to **escalate his privileges to root** using a bug in PHP-FPM, which
has been present for 10 years.

PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) is the official PHP FastCGI server.
It is used in conjunction with an **HTTP server** such as **Apache
or NGINX** to handle the processing of PHP files. It generally listens
for connections over either a UNIX socket or on TCP port 9000. When
the HTTP server needs to run a PHP file, it will forward parameters,
such as the file path, PHP variables, and configuration to PHP-FPM,
which will send back a response.

If you're wondering if you are vulnerable: if you are using **Apache**
and PHP, you **might be** using PHP-FPM. If you're using **NGINX**
and PHP, you **are** using PHP-FPM. If you are using PHP-FPM, you
are vulnerable.

# Overview of the bug

A low-privilege process can read and write an array of pointers used
by the main process, running as root, through shared memory. An attacker
can leverage this problem to change a 32-bit integer from zero to
one in the main process's memory, or clear a memory region. By leveraging
the primitive multiple times, it is possible to reach another bug,
make the main process execute code, and thus escalate privileges.

# Overview of PHP-FPM

*The behaviour of PHP-FPM is governed by its configuration; we'll
use the standard configuration to explain how it works. YMMV.*

## Main process and workers

PHP-FPM is a FastCGI server. The main process, which generally runs
as `root`, manages less privileged (`www-data`, `nobody`) workers.
When a request is received, the main process forwards it to an idle
worker for processing. The worker sends back a response. The system
is "on demand": if every worker is busy handling a request, the main
process can spawn one or several new workers. Conversely, if there
is not much traffic, the main process can kill workers to save resources.
If a worker somehow crashes or exits, the main process spawns a new
process to take its place. By default, PHP-FPM starts with 2 workers,
and can handle at most 5 concurrent requests (*i.e.* 5 concurrent
workers).

## Scoreboards

In order to know what each worker is doing, each worker manages a
scoreboard (`struct fpm_scoreboard_proc_s`) [1]
. These structures contain a PID, the current state of the worker
(is it handling a request or idle ? Which PHP file is it processing
?), and a few stats alongside (memory and CPU time used).

```cpp
pwndbg> p *fpm_worker_all_pools->scoreboard->procs[0] //
fpm_scoreboard_proc_s
$8 = {
  {
    lock = 0,
    dummy = '\000' <repeats 15 times>
  },
  used = 1,
  start_epoch = 1619077029,
  pid = 1444,
  requests = 0,
  request_stage = FPM_REQUEST_ACCEPTING,
  request_uri = '\000' <repeats 127 times>,
  query_string = '\000' <repeats 511 times>,
  request_method = '\000' <repeats 15 times>,
}
```
*Example of a worker scoreboard*

Additionally, the main process aggregates some of these infos in a
main scoreboard (`struct fpm_scoreboard_s`). In there, you can find
the number of active workers (`active`), the number of idle workers
(`idle`), the timestamp at which PHP-FPM started (`start_epoch`)...

```cpp
pwndbg> p *fpm_worker_all_pools->scoreboard // fpm_scoreboard_s
$7 = {
  {
    lock = 0,
    dummy = '\000' <repeats 15 times>
  },
  pool = "www", '\000' <repeats 28 times>,
  pm = 2,
  start_epoch = 1619077029,
  idle = 2,
  active = 0,
  active_max = 0,
  requests = 0,
  max_children_reached = 0,
  lq = 0,
  lq_max = 0,
  lq_len = 0,
  nprocs = 5, // size of the procs array
  free_proc = 2,
  slow_rq = 0,
  procs = 0x7ff114945078 // fpm_scoreboard_proc_s*[] // <---- [1]
}
```
*Main scoreboard*

One of these fields is of interest: the last field of the structure,
`procs`, is an array of pointers to the sub-scoreboards described
right before. When the root process needs to access a sub-scoreboard,
it refers to this array and dereferences its elements.

This implies that the main process has access to the sub-scoreboards,
although they are maintained by workers. How can this be ?

## IPC through SHM

When PHP-FPM starts, it creates a shared memory mapping to store
sub-scoreboards.
Along with the main process, each worker can read and modify the data
in this mapping. It seems insecure: as a worker, you could for instance
modify the scoreboard of other workers, and pretend they are busy,
which could DOS the application. However, this is not dramatic.

Here's what is: the main scoreboard is *also* located in the SHM.
The pointers in `fpm_scoreboard_s.procs[]` are therefore writable
by any worker.
When the root process tries to use sub-scoreboards, we can make it
read or write outside the SHM, right inside its own memory !

*As a quick test, you can set `scoreboard->procs[0]` to an unmapped
address from a worker process and watch the main process crash almost
instantly, as it tries to dereference it.*

Using PHP sandbox escape bugs, like the one described
[here](https://ssd-disclosure.com/ssd-advisory-php-spldoublylinkedlist-uaf-sandbox-escape/),
one can get full control over a worker's memory, and use it to modify
the `fpm_scoreboard_s.procs[]` pointers, in order to make the main
process use fake `fpm_scoreboard_proc_s` structures.

However, unlike with the Apache HTTPd exploit, there is no easy way
to reach an arbitrary function call from this bug. In fact, there's
actually not much we can do with it! We'll go over this in the next
section.

# Process scoreboard management and the bad primitive

In order to understand what we can do with these pointers, we need
to understand how PHP-FPM manages sub-scoreboards during the shutdown
and creation of workers.

PHP-FPM maintains, while running, a linked list of running children
(workers), each represented by a `fpm_child_s` structure. They are
stored on the heap (libc's, not PHP's).

Additionally, PHP-FPM wishes to collect a few stats about its running
workers. Therefore, when it starts, the main process allocates, **in
the shared memory**, the main scoreboard (`fpm_scoreboard_s`), and
a number of `fpm_scoreboard_proc_s` structures equal to the maximum
number of workers (by default, 5). It then fills the
`fpm_scoreboard->procs[]`
array with pointers to these.

Before it spawns a new worker, the main process needs to find it a
scoreboard to use. To do so, picks an unused sub-scoreboard, marks
it as used, and links it to the worker.

When a worker dies, it does not need a sub-scoreboard anymore. PHP-FPM
finds its index through another structure, and then wipes the whole
structure.

Both operations happen **in the main process, as root**. They are
respectively done by the following functions: `fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc()`
and `fpm_scoreboard_proc_free()`. Let's rapidly check the code for
both functions.

```cpp
// fpm_scoreboard.c

int fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc(struct fpm_scoreboard_s *scoreboard,
int *child_index) /* {{{ */
{
    int i = -1;

    [...]

    /* first try the slot which is supposed to be free */
    if (scoreboard->free_proc >= 0 && (unsigned int)scoreboard->free_proc
< scoreboard->nprocs) {
        if (scoreboard->procs[scoreboard->free_proc] &&
!scoreboard->procs[scoreboard->free_proc]->used)
{
            i = scoreboard->free_proc;
        }
    }

    // [1]
    if (i < 0) { /* the supposed free slot is not, let's search for a
free slot */
        zlog(ZLOG_DEBUG, "[pool %s] the proc->free_slot was not free. Let's
search", scoreboard->pool);
        for (i = 0; i < (int)scoreboard->nprocs; i++) {
            if (scoreboard->procs[i] && !scoreboard->procs[i]->used) {
/* found
*/
                break;
            }
        }
    }

    /* no free slot */
    if (i < 0 || i >= (int)scoreboard->nprocs) {
        zlog(ZLOG_ERROR, "[pool %s] no free scoreboard slot",
scoreboard->pool);
        return -1;
    }

    scoreboard->procs[i]->used = 1; // [2]
    *child_index = i; // [3]

    /* supposed next slot is free */
    if (i + 1 >= (int)scoreboard->nprocs) {
        scoreboard->free_proc = 0;
    } else {
        scoreboard->free_proc = i + 1;
    }

    return 0;
}
```

The first function will find an unused structure [1], mark it as used
[2], and return its index [3].

```cpp
void fpm_scoreboard_proc_free(struct fpm_scoreboard_s *scoreboard,
int child_index) /* {{{ */
{
    if (!scoreboard) {
        return;
    }

    if (child_index < 0 || (unsigned int)child_index >= scoreboard->nprocs)
{
        return;
    }

    if (scoreboard->procs[child_index] &&
scoreboard->procs[child_index]->used
> 0) { // [4]
        memset(scoreboard->procs[child_index], 0, sizeof(struct
fpm_scoreboard_proc_s));
// [5]
    }

    /* set this slot as free to avoid search on next alloc */
    scoreboard->free_proc = child_index;
}
```

The second function will receive the index of the sub-scoreboard of
a dying child, and clear it [5], but only if its `used` flag is superior
to zero [4].

To speed up the allocation process, the field `scoreboard->free_proc`
keeps track of the sub-scoreboard that was freed last. When a sub-scoreboard
needs to be allocated, this index will be checked first.

The array containing addresses of every sub-scoreboard,
`scoreboard->procs[]`,
is located in the shared memory: it can be modified by any worker
process. Furthermore, the process of allocating a sub-scoreboard can
be easily triggered as a worker by creating several concurrent requests,
and freeing a sub-scoreboard can be done by killing a worker.

As such, we can trigger those functions as an attacker: we can use
this to make the main process change a 32-bit integer from zero to
one (using *2*), or clear a huge memory region (using *5*).

## An example

Let's say we want to set an integer at address `0x555600000038` in
the main process' heap to `1`. It is originally `0`.

We set `scoreboard->procs[2]` to `0x555600000028` (`used` is at offset
`0x10`), and kill the associated worker.
`fpm_scoreboard_proc_free(scoreboard,
2)` is called, and since `scoreboard->procs[2]->used`  (`0x555600000038`)
is zero, it just sets `scoreboard->free_proc` to `2` and returns.

Then, before spawning a new worker, `fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc()`
gets called. It checks `scoreboard->procs[scoreboard->free_proc]->used`,
sees that is it *zero*, and sets it to *one*. It then sets
`scoreboard->free_proc`
to `2+1=3` and returns.

However, if, for some reason, the integer at address `0x555600000038`
happens to be *not* zero, the impact is very different.
`fpm_scoreboard_proc_free()`
checks `scoreboard->procs[2]->used`, sees that it is nonzero, and
therefore calls `memset(0x555600000028, 0, 1168)`, destroying a significant
part of memory around (and mostly after) the address.

This is a risky primitive: due to the small size of internal PHP-FPM
structures, 1168 represents a huge size. If we somehow mess up, we
could destroy important data, and probably crash the main process.

However, we got our primitives: we make an element of `scoreboard->procs[]`
point to wherever we want, and kill the associated worker. Depending
on the value of its `used` field, it will either be set to `1`, or
clear 1168 bytes around it.

*From now on, these primitives will be named respectively the* set-0-to-1
*and* clear-1168-bytes *primitives*.

# Exploitation

From now on, we assume that we have complete read/write in workers
using a [PHP sandbox escape (*e.g.* `SplDoublyLinkedList::offsetUnset`).
We can force the creation of workers by sending several concurrent
requests, and kill any worker by sending it a `SIGKILL` signal.

We want to escalate from a full read-write access in a worker process
to code execution in the root process.

To do so, we have a few things going for us:

- Since workers are forked from the main process, they share the same
memory mappings (ASLR is insignificant).
- Their heap is similar as well: although a lot of allocs/deallocs
happen when a worker spawns, we can still get a decent idea of the
contents of the heap of the main process by reading its child's memory.
- Finally, if we somehow crash a child during the exploitation, the
main process will restart it.

However, we also have a few problems:

- The primitive is bad: if `used` does not have the value we expect,
we'll destroy 1168 bytes of memory instead of just changing one bit
from `0` to `1`; generally, this means a crash. If the main process
crashes, it's game over for you and the website. Even if we manage
to not mess it up, we can clear a huge memory range or change a zero
into a one. That's not much to work with.
- After a fork, the worker will free lots of structures, because they
are only used by the main process. If somehow the newly-spawned worker
has an incorrect heap state when it spawns, it will exit or crash.
And the main process will therefore spawn a new, still messed up,
worker. Which will exit again. This will go on indefinitely, and cause
a DOS.
- In order to control our primitive, we will have to spawn and kill
workers in rapid succession. If a normal user browses the website
at an inconvenient time, he might mess up our exploit, which might
crash the root process.

In short, there are many ways to destroy the main process, and there
aren't many ways to get code execution.

## Tailoring the primitive

Although we have a decent idea of the main process' memory layout,
we can't always be 100% sure that a given 32-bit integer is zero.
Thus, our two primitives might get mixed-up, and we may as a result
crash the process.

To avoid this, we first kill a worker, and then change the
`scoreboard->procs[]`
element only after `fpm_scoreboard_free_proc()` has been killed. This
can easily be done by monitoring the value of `scoreboard->free_proc`,
which is changed at the end of the function. Then, as soon as
`fpm_scoreboard_free_alloc()`
has been called, we reset the pointer (again, we can monitor `free_proc`
for this).

With a few additional tricks involving the scoreboard structure and
out-of-scope of the article, we can garantee that, although we don't
always win the race, we never break anything.

Our *set-0-to-1* primitive just got a little better: we cannot trigger
`memset()` by mistake anymore, and have one less way to destroy PHP-FPM.
Other are coming.

## Reaching the heap: setting `catch_workers_output`

Now that our *set-0-to-1* primitive is safe, we need to find a use
for it. By itself, it is not much use: we can corrupt a length, or
a chunk size for instance, but we cannot create arbitrary data in
the main process (except in the shared memory segment). In other words,
maybe we can make something bigger, but we can't make it contain data
we control.

We therefore need a way to send data to the main process, and there's
a perfect solution in the worker pool configuration:

```cpp
pwndbg> p *fpm_worker_all_pools->config
$2 = {
  name = 0x559e247bf020 "www",
  prefix = 0x0,
  user = 0x559e247b73d0 "www-data",
  group = 0x559e247b73f0 "www-data",
  listen_address = 0x559e247b73a0 "/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock",
  listen_backlog = 511,
  listen_owner = 0x559e247b7440 "www-data",
  listen_group = 0x559e247b7460 "www-data",
  listen_mode = 0x0,
  listen_allowed_clients = 0x0,
  process_priority = 64,
  process_dumpable = 0,
  pm = 2,
  rlimit_files = 0,
  rlimit_core = 0,
  chroot = 0x0,
  chdir = 0x0,
  catch_workers_output = 0, // <-----------------
  decorate_workers_output = 1,
  clear_env = 1,
  security_limit_extensions = 0x559e247b7480 ".php .phar",
  env = 0x0,
  php_admin_values = 0x0,
  php_values = 0x0,
  apparmor_hat = 0x0,
  listen_acl_users = 0x0,
  listen_acl_groups = 0x0
}
```

There are a lot of things in there, but one looks very interesting:
`catch_workers_output`. Its use is to aggregate the output from workers
into a single log file, `php-fpm.log`.

As such, when set, if a worker writes to *stdout* or *stderr*, the
data is sent to the root process, which buffers it until a newline
is encountered. When this happens, the line is stored into the log
file, and the buffer gets flushed. This buffer is by default of fixed
size, `1024`, and allocated on the heap.

`catch_workers_output` is *OFF* (`0`) by default. We use the primitive
to set it to `1`.
We can now send *almost* arbitrary data in the main process' heap;
we just need to write into workers' *stderr*.

## Good enough ?

Now that we can send (almost) arbitrary data in the root process'
heap, and have two primitive, we could easily go for an heap attack.
By using the *set-0-to-1* primitive, we could for instance change
a chunk size; by using the other primitive, we could clear a tcache
pointer LSB...

An example: we could use 3 workers to force the allocation of 3 contiguous
log buffers, and free them in a chosen order. Since they all fit in
the tcache, we could overwrite the LSB of the pointer of the first
chunk using our *clear-1168-bytes* primitive, and we'd have a good
starting point.

However, this attack, along with many others, rely on having, at some
point, an unstable heap.
If a legitimate client were to send a request at this point in time,
it would probably have very bad effects: crash, DOS, ...

Even using different approaches, the conclusion remains the same:
however good an exploitation strategy is in theory, if legitimate
requests (and their potential errors) were handled at critical stage
of the exploit, a crash would be very likely. We need to find a way
to keep the server to ourselves.

## All your bases

Between each step of the exploit, a number of legitimate requests
can happen. This causes a few problems.

### Persistent worker control

If we were to send an FCGI request for each "action" we want a worker
to perform, there'd be no garantee that the process that executes
the first request is the same as the one handling the second one.
Furthermore, as legitimate requests get intertwined with ours, we
often get unpredictable behaviour.

We therefore build the exploit as a python **C&C server** which spawns
PHP workers and keeps them alive for as long as required. The server
and the workers communicate through a custom IPC mechanism (*read:
a JSON file and a few `while(true)` loops*).

This enables us to create workers, make them execute commands, and
then stop or kill them at will. In other words, we know which process
executes which actions, and that it does not execute anything else
in between.

However, standard requests can still be assigned to workers we do
not control, or slip in when we kill a worker and try to take control
of a new one.

### Capping the number of workers

Whenever a new worker is forked from the main process, it gets rid
of unneeded structures. Such structures include all workers' `zlog_stream`
and `buffer`. It'll also allocate new stuff, which will trigger
`malloc_consolidate()`.
In each of our exploitation ideas, the heap is, for very short times,
in an invalid state: a chunk header could be invalid, an entry could
be present twice in the tcache... Say a worker gets spawned at this
time. It inherits the bad heap, tries to use it... and the libc shouts
an error and raises `SIGABRT`. Usually we would not care: PHP-FPM
restarts its crashed children. However, since we enabled
`catch_workers_output`,
the error message is sent back to the main process, which, as it's
supposed to, creates a log buffer to receive the error. The heap being
broken in main process as well, the main process ends up crashing too!

Even if the worker process crashes silently, the main process respawns
it before doing anything else. It'll crash again, resulting an endless
loop of birth and death for processes.

Consequently, we need a way to block the main process from spawning
workers. Remember, before spawning a worker, the main process will
make sure that a sub-scoreboard is available for it to use. An obvious
idea is to set the `->used` flag of every `scoreboard->procs[]` to
`1`. However, this proves really hard when the main process repeatedly
spawns new workers: you need to set it right after the structure has
been nulled. Luckily, `fpm_scoreboard_proc_free()` and
`fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc()`
behave a little bit differently:

```cpp
// fpm_scoreboard.c

int fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc(struct fpm_scoreboard_s *scoreboard,
int *child_index) /* {{{ */
{
    [...]

    if (i < 0) { /* the supposed free slot is not, let's search for a
free slot */
        zlog(ZLOG_DEBUG, "[pool %s] the proc->free_slot was not free. Let's
search", scoreboard->pool);
        for (i = 0; i < (int)scoreboard->nprocs; i++) {
            if (scoreboard->procs[i] && !scoreboard->procs[i]->used) {
/* found
*/ // <--- HERE
                break;
            }
        }
    }

    [...]
}

void fpm_scoreboard_proc_free(struct fpm_scoreboard_s *scoreboard,
int child_index) /* {{{ */
{
    if (scoreboard->procs[child_index] &&
scoreboard->procs[child_index]->used
> 0) { // <--- HERE
        memset(scoreboard->procs[child_index], 0, sizeof(struct
fpm_scoreboard_proc_s));
    }
}
```

If you look at the code again, you'll notice that
`fpm_scoreboard_proc_free()`
checks that `used` is *superior* to zero, while
`fpm_scoreboard_proc_alloc()`
checks that it is *different* from zero. As such, **setting `used`
to `-1` blocks both functions from doing anything**.

This allows us to block workers from spawning, and thus cap the maximum
number of workers. For instance, in the default configuration, which
allows *5* concurrent workers at most, if we set `used` to `-1` on
*3* sub-scoreboards, PHP-FPM will only be able to spawn *2*.

Furthermore, when we kill a worker, we can even preemptively set its
`used` flag to `-1`, making sure PHP won't respawn one right after.

Another consequence is that we can now tailor our exploit for the
default configuration of 5 maximum concurrent workers. If the targeted
PHP-FPM service happens to allow more, we'll just cap this number
back to 5. We can build a configuration-agnostic exploit.

### Closed FD

Because of our hotfix of `catch_workers_output`, when PHP-FPM spawns
workers at a very heavy rate, a race condition can happen where the
*fd* supposed to receive CGI requests is closed right before it is
used. This causes the worker to exit straight away (if it can't receive
requests, what's the point of being alive), leading the main process
to respawn it. However, the immediate respawn yields exactly the same
problem, and the worker exits again. Infinite loop. Luckily, this
can be solved by blocking the spawn of workers for a few moments,
using the same technique as described above.

There's one thing left to tackle: legitimate requests which produce
errors.

### Error-free PHP

Let's say it: PHP is probably one of the web language that produces
the most errors without crashing. Warning, Notice, Deprecation, the
list goes on.

Those errors become annoying as soon as we enable `catch_workers_output`:
they get written to *stderr*, and as such are transfered to the main
process, which will create log streams and buffers to store them.
Since these heap chunks are the only we can control, we'd like to
keep them to ourselves.

Luckily, before a PHP error is written to an FD, lots of things happen.
Here's an example stack trace in a worker process which yields an
error:

```cpp
pwndbg> bt
#2  0x00007f8b43e71cb8 in persistent_error_cb (type=2,
error_filename=0x4121d7c0
"/var/www/html/gid.php", error_lineno=6, message=0x7f8b43c02200) at
./ext/opcache/ZendAccelerator.c:1671
#3  0x000055e53ff5069c in zend_error_impl (orig_type=orig_type@...ry=2,
error_filename=0x4121d7c0 "/var/www/html/gid.php", error_lineno=<optimized
out>, message=message@...ry=0x7f8b43c02200) at ./Zend/zend.c:1339
#4  0x000055e53ff50e6c in zend_error_zstr (type=type@...ry=2,
message=message@...ry=0x7f8b43c02200)
at ./Zend/zend.c:1530
#5  0x000055e53ff4c348 in php_verror (docref=<optimized out>,
params=<optimized
out>, type=2, format=<optimized out>, args=args@...ry=0x7fff7e7df170)
at ./main/main.c:1064
#6  0x000055e53ff4c6e9 in php_error_docref1 (docref=docref@...ry=0x0,
param1=param1@...ry=0x7f8b43c61010 "/etc/shadow", type=type@...ry=2,
format=format@...ry=0x55e5401fc498 "%s: %s") at ./main/main.c:1088
#7  0x000055e5400c8d64 in php_stream_display_wrapper_errors
(wrapper=wrapper@...ry=0x55e540314320
<php_plain_files_wrapper>, path=path@...ry=0x40b99ff8 "/etc/shadow",
caption=caption@...ry=0x55e5401fecf6 "Failed to open stream") at
./main/streams/streams.c:213
#19 0x000055e53ff6ccae in _start () at ./ext/standard/file.c:2428
```

In `persistent_error_cb()`, we have the following code:

```cpp
// ext/opcache/ZendAccelerator.c
static void persistent_error_cb(int type, const char *error_filename,
const uint32_t error_lineno, zend_string *message) {
    if (ZCG(record_warnings)) { // [1]
        zend_recorded_warning *warning =
emalloc(sizeof(zend_recorded_warning));
        warning->type = type;
        warning->error_lineno = error_lineno;
        warning->error_filename = zend_string_init(error_filename,
strlen(error_filename),
0);
        warning->error_message = zend_string_copy(message);

        ZCG(num_warnings)++;
        ZCG(warnings) = erealloc(ZCG(warnings),
sizeof(zend_recorded_warning)
* ZCG(num_warnings)); // [2]
        ZCG(warnings)[ZCG(num_warnings)-1] = warning;
    }
    accelerator_orig_zend_error_cb(type, error_filename, error_lineno,
message);
}
```

`ZCG(some_key)` expands to `accel_globals.some_key`. This `accel_globals`
structure is inherited from the main process, and contains many empty
fields, like `ZCG(record_warnings)` [1] and `ZCG(warnings)` [2]. **By
setting both to `1` using our *set-0-to-1* primitive, each worker
process will inherit the values**. As a consequence, any PHP error
will cause `persistent_error_cb()` to enter the `if` block, and will
end up calling `erealloc()` with `1` at its first parameter, thus
crashing the worker. Since the worker crashes before it writes to
*stderr*, the error is never received by the main process, and no
heap chunks are allocated.

Using all these tweaks, we are able to gracefully control which worker
executes what, how many workers spawn, and block PHP errors from messing
up our exploit.

## Problem-free exploitation tactics

With all these problems behind us, we are ready to find a valid exploitation
idea. Remember the overlapping chunk attack discussed in the previous
section ?

In practice, this is way harder: since we hotfixed `catch_workers_output`,
PHP-FPM did not get the chance to set up the FDs it needs to interact
with the workers. As such, some workers can only send data to the
main process using *stdout*, other only with *stderr*. Others cannot
send anything. Even worse, sometimes, workers write on behalf of others.
It makes it really hard to have three contiguous chunks. And this
is only the first requirement of our attack.

## Managing streams: `zlog_stream`

In order to manage *stderr* buffers in the main process, PHP-FPM allocates,
for each worker, another structure: `zlog_stream`. It contains the
address of the buffer, its size, the number of characters written
into it, etc.

Let's look at a bit more.

```cpp
pwndbg> p *fpm_worker_all_pools->children->next->log_stream
$1 = {
  child_pid = 1844634,
  function = 0x0,
  buf = {
    data = 0x0, // buffer pointer
    size = 0 // buffer size
  },
  len = 0, // position of the write cursor in the buffer
  buf_init_size = 1024, // default size to allocate buffer with
  msg_prefix = 0x564794d2a860 "[pool www] child 1844634 said into
stderr: ",
}
```
*Example of `zlog_stream` structure.*

When a worker sends its first bytes to stderr, the `zlog_stream` gets
created. At first, no buffer gets allocated: `stream->buf.data` is
`NULL`, and `stream->buf.size` is `0`. The position of the cursor,
`stream->len`, is also zero.

When *stderr* is not an empty line, the log stream creates a buffer
to store the sent characters. Sending `test\n` results in the following
changes:

```cpp
pwndbg> p *fpm_worker_all_pools->children->next->log_stream
$1 = {
  child_pid = 1844634,
  function = 0x0,
  buf = {
    data = 0x55ec5bed7a40 "[31-May-2021 16:10:35] WARNING: [pool www]
child 1844635 said into stderr: \"test\"\n",
    size = 1024
  },
  len = 48,
  buf_init_size = 1024, // default size to allocate buffer with
  msg_prefix = 0x564794d2a860 "[pool www] child 1844634 said into
stderr: ",
}
```
*Example of `zlog_stream` structure.*

A buffer of size `1024` was created, and our 4-letter payload was
written, but with a little twist: a prefix was added by PHP-FPM. It
does this so that, when this string finally gets written into the
log file, one can to find out which worker wrote what.

Now that we have a basic (but sufficient) overview of log streams,
lets dive into the code responsible for appending data to a buffer.

## Unreachable heap overflow

As mentioned previously, whenever a worker writes to *stderr*, the
first step achieved by the main process is to create a `zlog_stream`
structure (if it has not been done already).

After this, it reads from the corresponding FD, and calls
`zlog_stream_str()`,
which, if something was read, calls `zlog_stream_buf_append()` [1]:

```cpp
static ssize_t zlog_stream_buf_append(
        struct zlog_stream *stream, const char *str, size_t str_len) //
[1]
{
    int over_limit = 0;
    size_t available_len, required_len, reserved_len;

    if (stream->len == 0) {
        stream->len = zlog_stream_prefix_ex(stream, stream->function,
stream->line);
// [2]
    }

    /* msg_suffix_len and msg_quote are used only for wrapping */
    reserved_len = stream->len + stream->msg_suffix_len + stream->msg_quote;
    required_len = reserved_len + str_len;
    if (required_len >= zlog_limit) { // [3]
        over_limit = 1;
        available_len = zlog_limit - reserved_len - 1;
    } else {
        available_len = str_len;
    }

    if (zlog_stream_buf_copy_cstr(stream, str, available_len) < 0) {
// [4]
        return -1;
    }

    if (!over_limit) {
        return available_len;
    }

    return available_len;
}
```

Let's review the arguments: `stream` is the log stream responsible
for the worker, `str` contains the bytes written to `stderr`, and
`str_len` the number of bytes written.

If nothing has been written to the buffer yet (`stream->len` is zero),
`zlog_stream_prefix_ex()` gets called. If `stream->buf.data` is not
allocated yet, this is done, with size `stream->buf_init_size` (1024).
After this, `stream->msg_prefix` is added to the beginning of the
message, and `len` is incremented accordingly [2].

Then, PHP-FPM verifies that the total size required to store the data
is not over the global maximum, `zlog_limit` [3]. This is an integer
which is equal to 1024. This is as simple as this: you cannot write
more than 1024 bytes in `stream->buf.data`, ever.

Then comes the call to `zlog_stream_buf_copy_cstr()` [4]:

```cpp
static inline ssize_t zlog_stream_buf_copy_cstr(
        struct zlog_stream *stream, const char *str, size_t str_len) /*
{{{ */
{
    if (stream->buf.size - stream->len <= str_len /* [5] */
        && !zlog_stream_buf_alloc_ex(stream, str_len) /* [6] */) {
        return -1;
    }

    memcpy(stream->buf.data + stream->len, str, str_len); // [7]
    stream->len += str_len;

    return str_len;
}
```

If there is not enough size remaining in the buffer[5], it is
reallocated[6].
We enter the last function, `zlog_stream_buf_alloc_ex()`:

```cpp
static zlog_bool zlog_stream_buf_alloc_ex(struct zlog_stream *stream,
size_t needed)  /* {{{ */
{
    char *buf;
    size_t size = stream->buf.size ?: stream->buf_init_size;

    if (stream->buf.data) {
        size = MIN(zlog_limit, MAX(size * 2, needed));
        buf = realloc(stream->buf.data, size);
    } else {
        size = MIN(zlog_limit, MAX(size, needed));
        buf = malloc(size);
    }

    if (buf == NULL) {
        return 0;
    }

    stream->buf.data = buf;
    stream->buf.size = size;

    return 1;
}
```

As you can see, an horrible error happens: the buffer is (re)allocated
in function of `needed`, while `stream->len` is completely disregarded.
This causes an overflow on the `memcpy()` call [7] of the parent function,
which goes as far as `stream->len + str_len`, while the size of the
buffer is `str_len`.

However, as previously mentioned, when the first bytes of *stderr*
make their way to the main process, a prefix will be prepended, thus
creating a buffer of size `1024` [2]. The code snippet right after
forbids us from writing more than `1024` bytes into a buffer; this
prevents us from triggering the overflow in a normal situation.

## Faking the streams, getting root

### Heap overflow

We still have one thing going for us: our beloved *set-0-to-1* primitive.

We can spoof `stream->len` and `stream->buf.size` using it, but `zlog_limit`
acts as an upper bound. As such, when they are zero, we can only give
them one of 3 possible values: `1`, `0x100`, and `0x101` (because
`0x10000 > zlog_limit`).

Let's say we set both to `L`, and we write `N` bytes to *stderr* (with
`L + N < zlog_limit - 2`). This happens:

1. `zlog_stream_buf_append(stream, str, N)`.
2. `zlog_stream_prefix_ex()` is not called, and `stream->buf.data`
stays `NULL`.
3. `required_len < zlog_limit`, thus `available_len = N`.
4. `zlog_stream_buf_copy_cstr(stream, str, N)` called.
5. Since both `buf.size` and `len` are equal, the check is always
true.
6. `zlog_stream_buf_alloc_ex(stream, N)` gets called, and it allocates
`N` bytes.
7. `memcpy(stream->buf.data + L, str, N)` is called, overflowing of
`L` bytes.

We can thus create a log buffer of any size `N`, and overflow `L`
(`1`, `0x100` or `0x101`) bytes after it.

However, the objects contained in the heap are pretty small; these
overflow sizes are either way too tiny or a little too much for our
liking. We need to go a little bit further. First, we exploit with
`L=1`, and we obtain the following `log_stream` structure:

```cpp
stream->buf.data = malloc(N)
stream->buf.size = N
stream->len = N + 1
```

Then, we can apply the primitive again on the third byte of `buf.size`.
We get:

```cpp
stream->buf.data = malloc(N)
stream->buf.size = 0x10000 | N
stream->len = N + 1
```

Then, if we write `M` additional bytes to *stderr*, we have:

1. `zlog_stream_buf_append(stream, str, M)`.
2. `zlog_stream_prefix_ex()` is not called
3. `required_len < zlog_limit`, thus `available_len = M`.
4. `zlog_stream_buf_copy_cstr(stream, str, M)` called.
5. Since `buf.size` is huge, and `len` is small, the check is always
false.
6. `zlog_stream_buf_alloc_ex(stream, N)` not called
7. `memcpy(stream->buf.data + 1 + N, str, M)` is called, overflowing
of `1 + M` bytes.

We now have an overflow of size `M + 1`, on a buffer of size `N`,
with both variables almost arbitrary.

#### Arbitrary write

Creating a log stream will yield a `zlog_stream` chunk (`0x80`), and
a `msg_prefix` chunk (`0x40`). We can create one for any worker. We
create as many as possible, and look for a stream chunk (refered to
as `@...rflowed`) which is immediately preceeded by either a stream
chunk or a msg prefix chunk, `@...laced`. We also pick another log
stream, which we name `@...rupted`.

By applying the *set-0-to-1* primitive to `@...rupted->buf.size` and
`@...rupted->len`, we can allocate a chunk of any size `N` by sending
`N` bytes to `@...rupted`'s *stderr*. We use this to allocate where
`@...laced` was located. `@...rupted->buf.data` now points on the
chunk right before `@...rflowed`.

We now apply the primitive one last time, so that `@...rupted->buf.size`
gets incremented by `0x10000`. We can now write out-of-bounds, *i.e.*
overwrite `@...rflowed`. We can make its `buf.data` point to anything
! However, we can only do it once.

We therefore make `@...rflowed->buf.data` point to `@...rupted`. By
writing in `@...rflowed`'s *stderr*, we can modify `@...rupted`
(`zlog_stream`),
and the address its buffer points to. We can then write to `@...rupted`'s
*stderr* to write what we want, where we want it.

This way, we have one log stream that writes another: we got recurrent
arbitrary write.
From there, we can fix the configuration, the heap, and finally overwrite
function pointers to get code execution.

# Demo

See on link.

# Vulnerable versions

The exploit technique documented here makes use of a feature that
appeared in PHP 7.2. However, the pointers in the SHM have been present
from the first implementation, dating from PHP 5.3.7.
!

The bug was patched by converting `scoreboard->procs` to an array
of scoreboards (no pointers anymore) and making sure `scoreboard->nprocs`
only gets used by workers. You can find the main commit here:
https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/fadb1f8c1d08ae62b4f0a16917040fde57a3b93b
The patched release is PHP-8.0.12.

# Conclusion

Due to the growing adoption of NGINX instead of Apache, a good look
at PHP-FPM was in order. An oversight in the design of the shared
memory region lead to half-decent exploitation primitives, which in
turn lead to a `root` privilege escalation.

The exploit will be available at a later date.