Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:24:07 -0800
From: Michael McNally <mcnally@....org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "security-officer@....org" <security-officer@....org>
Subject: August BIND maintenance releases contain a defect affecting servers
 using the map zone file format (was: A vulnerability in BIND (CVE-2021-25218)
 will be announced 18 August 2021)

Hello oss-security subscribers --

Earlier in the week we (Internet Systems Consortium) posted information to this list
about new versions of our BIND software which contained a fix for an exploitable
denial-of-service vector, CVE-2021-25218.

The replacement versions contained other fixes, one of which has caused a new
problem of which we would like to make you aware.  It is not an exploitable security
vulnerability but we would like to make sure that packagers who prepared replacement
versions of BIND after receiving our previous message are aware of this additional
issue, as it will affect users who use a specific BIND feature.

Originally the message below was sent to the distros list; I am informed that this
list was a more appropriate destination for it.

Apologies for our confusion over which list to use, as well as the additional work
caused by the new defect, but if you package and redistribute BIND please take note
of the Operational Notification linked from the message quoted below.

Thank you,

Michael McNally
ISC Security Officer