Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 18:33:26 +0300
From: Alexander Popov <alex.popov@...ux.com>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: linux-distros@...openwall.org,Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...uxfoundation.org>,Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,"security@...nel.org" <security@...nel.org>,Norbert Slusarek <nslusarek@....net>,Stefano Garzarella <sgarzare@...hat.com>,Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,Anthony Liguori <aliguori@...zon.com>,David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,Jorgen Hansen <jhansen@...are.com>,Stefan Schmidt <stefan@...enfreihafen.org>,Jeff Vander Stoep <jeffv@...gle.com>,Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel: Exploitable vulnerabilities in AF_VSOCK implementation

On February 5, 2021 12:43:31 AM GMT+03:00, Alexander Popov <alex.popov@...ux.com> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Let me inform you about the Linux kernel vulnerabilities that I've
>found in
>AF_VSOCK implementation. I managed to exploit one of them for a local
>privilege
>escalation on Fedora Server 33 for x86_64, bypassing SMEP and SMAP. I'm
>going to
>share all the details about the exploit techniques later.
>
>CONFIG_VSOCKETS and CONFIG_VIRTIO_VSOCKETS are shipped as kernel
>modules in all
>major GNU/Linux distributions. The vulnerable modules are automatically
>loaded
>when you create a socket for AF_VSOCK. That is available for
>unprivileged users
>and user namespaces are not needed for that.
>
>These vulnerabilities are race conditions caused by wrong locking in
>net/vmw_vsock/af_vsock.c. The race conditions were implicitly
>introduced in
>November 2019 in the commits c0cfa2d8a788fcf4 and 6a2c0962105ae8ce that
>added
>VSOCK multi-transport support. These commits were merged in the Linux
>kernel
>v5.5-rc1.
>
>I prepared the fixing patch and made responsible disclosure to
>security@...nel.org. Now the patch is merged into the mainline kernel:
>  "vsock: fix the race conditions in multi-transport support"
>
>https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c518adafa39f37858697ac9309c6cf1805581446
>This patch is also backported into the affected stable trees.
>
>I've requested a CVE ID for these vulnerabilities at
>https://cveform.mitre.org/.

CVE-2021-26708 is assigned to these issues:
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-26708

Best regards,
Alexander