Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:43:10 -0500
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Buffer Overflow in raptor widely unfixed in Linux
 distros

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 01:33:31PM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
>> 3 years ago I reported a heap overflow vulnerability in raptor, an RDF
>> parsing library:
>> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/06/07/1 <https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/06/07/1> ,,,
>> Maybe noteworthy is that this didn't get a CVE in 2017. It seems many
>> distros rely on CVEs to get a process of backporting fixes rolling.
>> Given the fluctuating reliability of CVE assignments not sure this is
>> wise. I have now requested a CVE (CVE-2017-18926).

> On Nov 14, 2020, at 6:58 AM, Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de> wrote:
> I think the only thing you can do additional is to request a CVE.
>
> All tracking by everyone is using CVEs, this is the core identifier
> of the software security world.

I think this is key. If you find a vulnerability, you typically need to ensure that it gets
a CVE assigned if you want coordination & resolution to happen. It's how coordination happens.
There are issues with CVEs, but I’ve never seen a CVE assignment
get dropped in recent years once it was requested properly.
Delayed, yes, but I know CVE assignments don’t take 3 years :-).
And yes, there are special issues with the Linux kernel, but this package isn’t the Linux kernel.

If you think that CVE assignment is still of “fluctuating reliability” I’d like to hear that argument
and get it fixed. It’s normally better to fix the standard process for doing something than
to create yet another process that runs in parallel. I’ve seen no recent evidence of this reliability issue.

Sing this (to “Single Ladies”):
"If you like it, then you shoulda put a CVE on it...:"

--- David A. Wheeler