Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 05:05:21 +0100
From: Noel Kuntze <noel.kuntze+oss-security@...rmi.consulting>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
 "William J. Tolley" <william@...akpointingbad.com>
Subject: Re: [CVE-2019-14899] Inferring and hijacking
 VPN-tunneled TCP connections.

Hello List,

Some important comments on the matter and especially in regards to IPsec:
* This attack works regardless of if you have a VPN or not. The attacker just needs to be able to
  send packets to the other host. It's not systemd specific. It can also occur because the user deliberately
  configured the rp_filter that way (that's sometimes the case if PBR (Policy Based Routing) is configured.
  The default for rp_filter is strict. For further information on the matter see ip-sysctl.txt[2]
  and RFC 3704 Section 2.4[3]. For now, just create a file /etc/sysctl.d/51-rpfilter.conf with the content "net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1".
* You can solve the problem generally for IPv6 by using the rpfilter iptables or nftables module in *mangle PREROUTING[1].
  Just globally one rule is needed.
* Only route based VPNs are impacted. In comparison, policy based VPNs are not impacted (On Linux only implementable using XFRM, which
 is IPsec on Linux specific) unless the XFRM policy's level is set to "use" instead of "required" (default))
  because any traffic received that matches a policy (IPsec security policy) and that is not protected is dropped.
  An attacker could only inject packets by attacking the connection whenever it is unprotected (e.g. On a commercial VPN provider
  setup that would be when the connection "comes" out of the VPN server and goes to the destination on the WAN).
  So you're ususally fine. And even when a route based VPN is used, strict rp_filter can still save your bacon.

The probing of "virtual" IPv4 addresses can be made more difficult by configuring the VPN software to bind them to,
for example, the loopback interface and setting arp_ignore of any interface facing a possible attacker to 2[2].
That would prevent the sending of arp responses to arp requests for virtual IPs. I am not aware of a
similiar setting for IPv6. That might be related to the lack of an rp_filter setting for IPv6 on Linux.
Probing for addresses by using any protocol other than TCP (because TCP on Linux is handled in a special way
in regards to routing. It sends the responses over the same interface and MAC addresses as the request was received,
AFAIR) would not be possible if the response was to go over the VPN tunnel because the VPN server would most likely
drop it as a martian (the destination would probably be a private network and they're not routable over the Internet.
It has to be investigated on a case by case basis).

strongSwan by default binds any "virtual" IPs to the interface the route to the other peer goes over. You can change that though.
I don't know about libreswan or openswan (shouldn't use the last one anyway).

> This vulnerability works against OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2/IPSec,
> but has not been thoroughly tested against tor, but we believe it is
> not vulnerable since it operates in a SOCKS layer and includes
> authentication and encryption that happens in userspace.

It doesn't work against TOR because the destination address would be 127.0.0.1 and
Linux (don't know about other operating systems) drops packets to that destination unless the input
interface is loopback or route_localnet in sysctl of the input interface is set to 1 (used if services
bound to localhost are exposed to the network via DNAT rules).

> 3. Encrypted packet size and timing
>
> Since the size and number of packets allows the attacker to bypass the
> encryption provided by the VPN service, perhaps some sort of padding
> could be added to the encrypted packets to make them the same size.
> Also, since the challenge ACK per process limit allows us to determine
> if the encrypted packets are challenge ACKs, allowing the host to
> respond with equivalent-sized packets after exhausting this limit could
> prevent the attacker from making this inference.

IPsec supports that. It's called TFC (Traffic Flow Confidentiality). It can be configured to arbitrary values or to pad up to the MTU of the link.
It's disabled by default.

Kind regards

Noel

[1] Would look like that: ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -m rpfilter --invert -j DROP
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt
[3] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3704#section-2.4

Am 05.12.19 um 03:37 schrieb William J. Tolley:
> [...]
> servers on port 5223, and have observed that on MacOS, the port used on
> the victim device is not the same as the port used to connect to the
> VPN server, but is very close (in our testing it has always been within
> 10).
>
> nping --tcp --flags SA --source-ip 17.57.144.[84-87] -g 5223 --dest-ip
> 10.8.0.8 -p [X] --rate 3 -c 3 -e ap0 --dest-mac 08:00:27:9c:53:12
>
> For iOS devices, it does not follow this convention for choosing the
> client’s source port, but always choose a port between ~48000-50000
> (our testing on iOS 13.1 was between 48162-49555).
>
> FreeBSD: The first two phases work essentially the same as Linux,
> however, for the last phase, the ACK number is not needed at all, so
> that piece of phase three can be skipped.
>
> OpenBSD: OpenBSD responds to spoofed SYN packets to the correct virtual
> IP with unencrypted RST packets, and the incorrect virtual IP elicits
> unencrypted NTP packets or nothing at all for the first part of the
> attack. For the second part, the responses are encrypted, but we can
> still determine which packets are challenge ACKs from the packet size,
> as with Linux. Connections can be reset by sending a RST with the
> correct sequence number.
>

> **Possible Mitigations:
>
> 1. Turning reverse path filtering on
>
> Potential problem: Asynchronous routing not reliable on mobile devices,
> etc. Also, it isn’t clear that this is actually a solution since it
> appears to work in other OSes with different networking stacks. Also,
> even with reverse path filtering on strict mode, the first two parts of
> the attack can be completed, allowing the AP to make inferences about
> active connections, and we believe it may be possible to carry out the
> entire attack, but haven’t accomplished this yet.
>
> 2. Bogon filtering
>
> Potential problem: Local network addresses used for vpns and local
> networks, and some nations, including Iran, use the reserved private IP
> space as part of the public space.
>
> 3. Encrypted packet size and timing
>
> Since the size and number of packets allows the attacker to bypass the
> encryption provided by the VPN service, perhaps some sort of padding
> could be added to the encrypted packets to make them the same size.
> Also, since the challenge ACK per process limit allows us to determine
> if the encrypted packets are challenge ACKs, allowing the host to
> respond with equivalent-sized packets after exhausting this limit could
> prevent the attacker from making this inference.
>

> We have prepared a paper for publication concerning this
> vulnerability and the related implications, but intend to keep it
> embargoed until we have found a satisfactory workaround. Then we will
> report the vulnerability to oss-security@...ts.openwall.com. We are
> also reporting this vulnerability to the other services affected, which
> also includes: Systemd, Google, Apple, OpenVPN, and WireGuard, in

- --
Noel Kuntze
IT security consultant

GPG Key ID: 0x0739AD6C
Fingerprint: 3524 93BE B5F7 8E63 1372 AF2D F54E E40B 0739 AD6C

Download attachment "0xF54EE40B0739AD6C.asc" of type "application/pgp-keys" (8489 bytes)

Download attachment "0xF54EE40B0739AD6C.asc.sig" of type "application/octet-stream" (566 bytes)