Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:15:20 -0400
From: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

I figured it'd be useful to summarize the themes I think I'm hearing:

- Greater automation around requesting CVEs so that when there really are a
lot of vulnerabilities they can be requested easily and have most of the
details filled in by automatic systems like syzbot of ClusterFuzz.
- Better automation around assessing exploitability -- I confess this one
sounds very hard to me, at least without requiring more user involvement
than ASAN requires right now. This seems like a very cool area for academic
research though!
- Not having sooooo many vulnerabilities. While there's some dispute over
just what % of the bugs that OSS-Fuzz and syzbot turn up are exploitable,
there's no doubt that they find a _lot_ of them. Even if only 20% of
OSS-Fuzz reports were truly exploitable vulnerabilities, that'd still be
>600 of them. We can't produce this many vulnerabilities and then try to
clean up afterwards by finding them with fuzzing -- at some point the
number of vulnerabilities simply overwhelms us. Tactics for reducing
vulnerabilities in the first instance, like memory safe languages, are an
important part of making this problem tractable.

Do folks feel like there were important themes that this misses?

All of these seem actionable, in their own way, which I like.

Alex

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.