Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 20:07:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
To: "oss-security" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: "oss-security" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Terminal Control Chars

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:54:41 +0100, Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org> wrote:
> I hope you're not proposing that, to protect users of terminal emulators,
> general-purpose web browsers should not allow copying more than a
> paragraph at a time?

Not at all!  My point is that we should be careful about terminology.
"Control characters" already has a well-known standard definition,
using the same term for a different set is confusing & could lead to misimplementation.
Just call them something else that doesn't already have a standard
definition ("dangerous bytes" or whatever).

--- David A. Wheeler