Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 02:38:50 +0300
From: Alexander Popov <alex.popov@...ux.com>
To: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
 James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>, "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>,
 Brad Spengler <spender@...ecurity.net>, PaX Team <pageexec@...email.hu>,
 "Reshetova, Elena" <elena.reshetova@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel Defence Map

On 05.04.2018 22:20, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Alexander Popov <alex.popov@...ux.com> wrote:
>> On 05.04.2018 01:17, Kees Cook wrote:
> "type confusion" seems weird to me, but I haven't spent a lot of time
> weighing the options of the naming of these things. "Overwriting a
> function pointer" is the method, and the bug is "unexpectedly
> accessing userspace memory from the kernel" (which is usually
> "something overwrite a pointer").

Just got an idea to call it "userspace data access". Short and simple!

I also combined SMAP/PAN and UDEREF into a cluster to reduce the number of
edges. Now it looks a bit better.

>> Kees, thanks again for such a cool feedback. The map is updated.
>
> Very cool! Maybe also add an out-of-tree bubble for "Clang CFI", which
> gives forward-edge protection for code-reuse...

Ok. Created a CFI cluster with RAP and Clang CFI inside.

However, I didn't manage to find any materials about applying Clang CFI to the
Linux kernel.

Thanks!
Alexander