Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:23 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Vulnerabilities and default credentials in Ilias e-learning
 software / German gov hack

Hi,

You may have heard that the German government has been hacked recently.
As we learned today the entry point of the hack likely happened via the
e-learning software Ilias. It's an opensource PHP-based software:
https://www.ilias.de/

We had an article about this today on Golem.de and we also created an
English translation:
https://www.golem.de/news/government-hack-hack-on-german-government-via-e-learning-software-ilias-1803-133231.html

While we don't know what exactly happened, Ilias itself seems to have
had quite a few vulnerabilties in the past:

Arbitrary copying of files
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2017-March/000020.html

Cross Site Scripting in SVG import
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2017-April/000024.html

Cross Site Scripting due to lack of escaping
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2017-June/000034.html

System emails sometimes get delivered to the wrong people
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2017-August/000047.html

Vulnerability in handling of media files with unknown impact
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2017-October/000053.html

Reflected cross site scripting
https://lists.ilias.de/pipermail/ilias-admins/2018-February/000064.html

Appart from all that the software by default creates an administrator
account with the default username "root" and password "homer". The user
is neither forced nor asked to change these.
(Opinions here may differ, but in my opinion default credentials are a
design vulnerability on their own.)

If you happen to run Ilias please update to the latest version and make
sure that you have changed the password for the "root" account.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42