Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 21:42:30 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: memcached UDP amplification attacks

So long story short:

A CVE is assigned when a security vulnerability "crosses a trust boundary",
so for something that is easy, e.g. remote RCE, or "ping of death" (a
single ICMP packet that crashes the remote system, that was a fun week).

For a lot of things like encryption and denial of service the line in the
sand is somewhat arbitrary. For example a traffic amplification attack that
is 1:1 is probably not going to get a CVE today, but for example a 1:50000
traffic amplification (so 1 megabit/sec turns into ~= 50 gigabits/second)
is clearly a problem, especially if it's via UDP which can 1) be spoofed
and 2) can result in the remote end just firing the traffic off blindly.

I am told this memcached attack is causing traffic reflection well past 1:5
(an arbitrary line I've drawn in the sand, 1:2 isn't enough to really worry
about with some exceptions, and 1:10 is clearly a problem, so because of
how many fingers we mostly have, 1:5 seems fair), in fact this attack is
seeing amplification by several orders of magnitude past 1:5. Also memached
has fixed this in release 1.5.6 by disabling UDP by default (one metric for
CVE is "can this be fixed", if yes that's a good sign we didn't want the
previous behavior).

I have assigned CVE-2018-1000115 to this issue:

Memcached version 1.5.5 contains an Insufficient Control of Network Message
Volume (Network Amplification, CWE-406) vulnerability in the UDP support of
the memcached server that can result in denial of service via network flood
(traffic amplification of 1:50,000 has been reported by reliable sources).
This attack appear to be exploitable via network connectivity to port 11211
UDP. This vulnerability appears to have been fixed in 1.5.6 due to the
disabling of the UDP protocol by default.