Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:42:23 -0800
From: Tristan Henning <tristan@...tomcrypto.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: How to deal with reporters who don't want
 their bugs fixed?

I don't know if you've all seen this, but, this is definitely how not to
run a bug bounty.

http://www.digitalmunition.com/WhyIWalkedFrom3k.pdf

And the /r/netsec discussion from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/7dc275/bug_bounty_hunter_walks_away_on_30k_bounty_from/

TL;DR
A researcher found major infrastructure issues and after clarification
of scope managed to compromise a very large part of DJI along with large
amounts of PII. DJI sicked legal on him and he was forced to walk from a
$30,000 bug bounty.

This document and story received a large amount of traction in the
"hacking" community. How many bug hunters will be reporting issues to
DJI in the future? My guess, not a lot...

-Tristan