Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:06:04 +0000
From: Gynvael Coldwind <gynvael@...dwind.pl>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to deal with reporters who don't want their
 bugs fixed?

Hi there,

Speaking for myself from a security researcher's perspective, I would say
it depends on the reason for embargo, and what ends up protecting users
better.

There might be valid reasons for embargoes - one example (but not the only
one) is when a given bug affects multiple similar products, and a
disclosure on the side of one product would 0-day users using other
products. It sounds logical to wait until fixes are available before
disclosure (keeping in mind at the same time that a certain sane deadline
must be met too).

On the other hand there are reasons for embargoes which I don't find valid,
where the examples you've given ("paper/conference presentation/patent
submission") fall into this category.
They don't sound as something that would benefit users' security (please
correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm not a big fan of sitting on already
discovered unpatched security bugs (in the end bug discovery might be a
function of time for all we know).

In this case I would consider explaining this to the researcher and
proceeding with patching.
In the end if this causes a given person to report a known-to-them bug just
before a conference/etc it changes little vs. actually waiting for the
proposed just-before-conference/etc deadline anyway (if accepting the
embargo agreement that is).

Cheers,
Gynvael