Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 21:27:11 +0100
From: Raphael Geissert <>
To: Open Source Security <>
Subject: Net::LDAP ruby gem, missing certificate validation

Just another heads up that I requested a CVE id for issue #258[1] in the
Net::LDAP ruby gem. Versions older than 0.16.0 did not verify that the LDAP
server's certificate matched the host it was supposed to be connecting to.

This has now been assigned CVE-2017-17718 by MITRE.

Older versions did not perform any kind of validation at all, but it was
properly documented as such. Based on the changelog I believe this to have
changed in 0.10.0 by verifying the certificate's trust chain.

Raphael Geissert