Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:45:10 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Recommendations GnuPG-2 replacement

Hi Marcus,

Sorry to go off-list. Regarding:

> These should all be blog entries.  In fact, I commented on CMake here:
> https://neopg.io/blog/why-cmake/ The short version is: cmake has much
> less boilerplate, more stable interfaces, and it is snappier to use
> during development.  It is also well supported by all five major
> platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and iOS).

We had so many problems with Cmake we had to drop it. It accounted for
nearly 20% of our bugs. We could not even set a "C++ project" (i.e.,
'project(cryptopp, CXX)') without breaking Cmake. Also see
https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/CMake#CMake_Removal.

Regarding:

> I am not per se opposed to a multi-process design, but I'd rather have
> short-lived processes that are started for a single task (like
> decrypting a single message) than long-running daemons...

I think the library made a good design decision by moving secret key
operations out-of-process and then interfacing through a message
passing interface (i.e., Libassuan). In theory a compromise of the web
server should not yield secret keys because the keys are in another
process.

Good luck with the replacement. I really like Jack Lloyd's Botan. Its
a very nice library.

Related, here are some of the upcoming engineering goals for Botan:
https://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/botan-devel/2017-November/002242.html

Jeff