Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 15:15:06 +0000
From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi@...goth.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Recommendations GnuPG-2 replacement

On 2017-12-07 06:32:11 +0000 (+0000), halfdog wrote:
[...]
> For all steps regarding system startup, I switched to LUKS only,
> using detached headers for special features. For release signing,
> mail sign/encrypt, a good light-weight solution is still needed.
[...]

I continue to use gpg2 in a release signing context, but strip
symmetrical encryption from the private signing subkey with a custom
keyring due to it being used by a headless/automated CI system which
runs on virtual machines that get deleted as soon as the signature
is generated thus leaving keys in memory isn't a concern there (and
the master private key _is_ encrypted but only ever used to create
signing subkeys and never goes anywhere near the CI system).

Sounds like my use case is likely not your use case, so perhaps you
should look at the signify utility OpenBSD developed for this
purpose instead? It's included in Debian since Stretch under the
package name "signify-openbsd" and seems to work well; I've used it
semi-regularly as I tend to do a lot of cross-platform things in a
mixed Debian/OpenBSD environment.

For E-mail I'll confess I still use mutt's (well, neomutt's at
least) GnuPG integration, which has been working okay for me with
gpg2 on Debian. I haven't seen a lot of good OpenPGP implementations
besides GnuPG with at least equal levels of PGP/MIME integration
there. The obvious alternative is switching to S/MIME but you've
likely already considered that and the never-ending TTP vs WoT
debate, not to mention Debian as a community is fairly invested in
OpenPGP keys as a means of identifying and authenticating its
developers/maintainers.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (950 bytes)